We are so happy to have London’s top baby guru Annabel Karmel share with us this Raspberry and chocolate heart cake recipe.
Make sure you try it at home with your little ones this Valentine’s day.
Prep: 20 minutes (plus setting time)
Cook: 35-40 minutes
Makes: 8-10 portions
180g butter, softened
180g caster sugar
180g self-raising flour
30g cocoa powder
3 large eggs
2 tbsp milk
200ml double cream
2 tbsp raspberry jam
100g dark chocolate
30g unsalted butter
Edible rose petals
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease and line the base of two 20cm heart shaped (or round) sandwich tins.
- Combine all the cake ingredients, using an electric whisk, until smooth.
- Spoon into the prepared tins and level the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until well risen and shrinking away from the sides.
- Remove from the tins and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the filling, whisk the cream until stiff, then fold in the raspberries and spread over the bottom layer of the cake.
- Place the second sponge on top of the cream and press down.
- For the icing, melt the jam in a saucepan until runny, then spread over the top of the cake.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in a small bowl set over a pan of simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water), then leave to cool and thicken a little.
- Spread over the top of the cake. Leave to set for 1 hour, then decorate with raspberries and petals and serve with pouring cream.